Emergency Aid for flood victims in Khushi Valley, Logar
During the month of August the Khushi Valley region of the province of Logar was subject to heavy flash flooding. At least 182 people have been killed, more than 250 people were injured as the result of the flash flooding, while more than 3,000 houses were either destroyed or damaged.
The heaviest death toll occurred between August 16 and August 21, when 63 people were killed in the flash floods. Thirty others are reported missing and more than 8,200 families are affected across 13 provinces, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
The Kabul office of Afghan Australian Noor Association assigned the survey and assessment team of the Kabul office to gather information about the incident and the level of damage caused to the people. After several meetings with elders, the team decided to donate to the affected people of the area. On September 1st, after completing the list of beneficiaries, a grand ceremony was held at Deh Bala Mosque in Khoshi district for 220 affected families. As part of the ceremony cash packages and some meat were donated. In addition, the team ensured some people who did not receive cash donations during the initial visit of the Kabul team, were able to benefit from your donations this time.
Some of the activities that were undertaken in implementation of this project are as follows:
- Setting up consultation meetings with team members and influential figures of Khoshi Valley
- Agreement with the elders of Khoshi Valley regarding the confirmation of the type of the aid package and its safe and appropriate distribution point
- Preparation and arrangement of the list of the eligible beneficiaries from all the readings related to the Deh Payan, Meyan Deh and Bala Deh
- Inviting the media to cover the activities
- Design and print special distribution cards, cash envelopes and other advertising banners
- Determining the time, place and inviting volunteer teams to implement the program
- Preparing and arranging and transporting the necessary equipment to the field
- Buying food packages (Cake & Milk) for children living in IDP camps
- Buying, slaughtering and packing the meat of three Nazri sheep for distribution during the package donation program
- Close observation of some affected families by two assessment teams and presentation of aid package distribution cards
- Holding a program of donating humanitarian cash packages for the flood affected people in the Bala Deh Jame Mosque with the presence of 220 affected people, representatives of the victims, Chairman of Khoshi People's Council, local Ulama and a number of mass media